This step is optional, but I would highly recommend it. With all the brown sugar in this brownie, it's bound to stick and make for a messy mug during cleanup. Just like you would grease your pan for baking a brownie, grease your mug quickly before cooking. It will make clean up much easier!
- Spray a small amount of your favorite cooking spray into the mug
- Using a paper towel, soak up excess oil and spread the oil along the entirety of the inside of the mug
It's important to be accurate with the measurements of mug cake ingredients. Even though we aren't baking them, this part is still crucial. Altering the ingredients too drastically can change the texture of the brownie, as well as over-all the flavor. If you are preferring more marshmallows or chocolate chips, add them to the top of the mug cake at the last 10 to 15 seconds of cooking.
- Add all dry ingredients to your mug and mix them.
- Make sure there are no major lumps before adding wet ingredients.
- Add all wet ingredients to your mug and mix them.
- Add additional ingredients and fold them in.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil or melted butter (melted butter is my preferred and I think it creates a more fudgy texture, but oil is the standard)
- 3 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract- works well with chocolate and adds a more complex flavor than vanilla
- 1 to 2 tsp of dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp of mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp chopped walnuts
- If you don't have any walnuts, or you have a nut allergy, try substituting them for crushed graham crackers. Voila! You have a smores brownie instead.
Can you believe that in just 70 seconds, you can have a delicious chocolate brownie? Well, you can. Make sure not to cook the brownie too long, or it will end up dry and lose its fudgy texture.
Note that cooking times may vary depending on your microwave. If the wattage of your microwave is 1200 like mine is. I recommend 70 to 75 seconds. If you are feeling unsure of the time, watch over it a bit. If your wattage is lower, increase the time. If the wattage is higher, reduce the time. Get to know your microwave to decide the best time for you!
- Cook for 70 to 75 seconds.
- Let the mug cake cool about a minute after cooking, and enjoy!
- Top it with one scoop of rocky road ice cream to really lean into the rocky road flavor. If you want to stay classic, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.