This step is optional but could be considered equally important to the other steps in this recipe. Just like you grease your cake pans before baking, consider greasing your mug. It really does make cleaning up easier, and mug cakes are all about convenience and ease, after all.
- Spray a small amount of your favorite cooking spray into the mug.
- Using a paper towel, soak up excess oil and spread the oil along the entirety of the inside of the mug.
Here's where the work comes in, but don't worry it's minimal. Make sure not to adjust any of these measurements too drastically to avoid losing the cake-like texture. The right amount of wet to dry ingredients is important to getting the perfect mug cake!
- Add all dry ingredients to your mug and mix them
- Make sure there are no major lumps before adding wet ingredients
- Add all wet ingredients to your mug and mix them
- Add additional ingredients and fold them in
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil or melted butter- I think butter adds more flavor, but canola or coconut oil can be used also
- 3 tbsp of milk
- 1/4 tsp of almond extract
3 Oreos (put one aside to crush on top of the cake once cooked)
In a little over a minute, you can enjoy this Oreo cake with creamy frosting and crunchy Oreos on top!
Note that cooking times may vary depending on your microwave. If the wattage of your microwave is 1200 like mine is. I recommend 70 to 80 seconds. If you are feeling unsure of the time, watch over it a bit. If your wattage is lower, increase the time. If the wattage is higher, reduce the time. Get to know your microwave to decide the best time for you!
- Cook for 70 to 80 seconds.
- Let the mug cake cool about a minute after cooking.
- Frost, crush up additional Oreo and sprinkle it on top, and enjoy!
- 1 crushed Oreo
- 1/2 tbsp softened butter
- 3 to 3 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tsp of milk
To make the frosting, combine the ingredients and whisk with a hand mixer (I use my whisk attachment but you can use the standard attachments).
- If you are not a frosting fan, omit it. The cake alone is delicious, or if you really want to amp it up top it with a scoop of Oreo ice cream instead.
What desserts have you used Oreos in? Tell us about them below!
Viral food trends and hacks are viral for a reason, right?