Start a new project or import an image you want to edit into Illustrator. You can drag and drop image files directly onto the workspace or open them under the File > Open menu. I'll use a blank canvas for this project by clicking Create new... on the main menu.
You have a few options when it comes to making triangles in Illustrator. The tool you should use ultimately depends on what you want to create in your final design. In this guide, I'll cover three main tools you can use to create your triangle object.
- Brush Tool - This tool lets you freehand the triangle for an organic design.
- Polygon Shape Tool - This tool generates a precise triangle.
- Pen Tool - This tool is best for creating isosceles triangles.
Select the Brush Tool from the Tool Tray on the left. Draw the triangle shape you want.
If you wish to create a triangle from scratch, you must first create a polygon.
- Select the Polygon Shape Tool from the Tool Tray on the left.
- Click and drag in the workspace to create a polygon.
- Select the polygon to see the resizing and side options.
- One of the points around the shape will allow you to change the number of sides by clicking and dragging it. I highlighted this point in my screenshot.
- Drag the side slider down to 3 sides.
Select the Pen Tool from the Tool Tray on the left. Click to drop points to create your desired triangle.