GitHub Package Registry: Manage Packages Alongside Your Source Code
Publishing software packages is already pretty easy, so what does GitHub's Package Registry offer that we don't already have? With GitHub Package Registry you can:
- Develop and host packages in the same place
- Use said packages as dependencies in your source code on GitHub
- Easily configure private or public packages
- Easily manage permissions as the package inherits the same permissions as the repository
- Leverage GitHub's existing DevOps tools for better workflow integration
In this guide, we'll find out exactly what all of this means. We're going to go through the process of publishing (and using) an npm package, and as we go, we'll discuss some of the features and shortfalls of GitHub Package Registry.
Keep in mind, GitHub Package Registry is still currently in beta.