Essentially what you need to do is create the frame first, then place the image into it.
- Select a shape to fill or draw one with the Rectangle or Rectangle Frame Tool button on the left menu. (You can fill any outlined shape, including ellipses and triangles.)
- Go to File and click Place....
- Find the image on your computer that you want to insert.
- Make sure the content fits the frame properly, using the Frame Fitting adjustments on the right (see below).
If you'd prefer you can copy and paste an image directly into your document, which creates a frame that you can then adjust.
- Right-click the image you want to insert.
- Select Copy.
- In the InDesign document, right-click and select Paste.
You may need to adjust the frame size, placement, or fitting.
- To adjust the frame size, click and drag a corner of the frame.
- To adjust where the frame is, click inside the frame and drag the frame where you need it.
- To adjust the image in the frame, use the Frame Fitting adjustments on the right (see below).