Audacity is free to use audio manipulation software. You can record, edit, and splice audio tracks using its basic user interface. One of the coolest features of Audacity is the file conversion capability.
- Import the audio file you need to convert.
- Test the audio to make sure it plays
- Go to File > Export > Export as MP3
- Save the file with a unique name to a location of your choosing.
Audacity can also video files in .mp4 format, which is perfect if you're looking to extract and manipulate the audio from it.
For more information on this process, visit the audacity support page here.
iTunes users rejoice! You can convert any audio file you need within iTunes, as well.
- Import the audio file or choose one from your library.
- Go to File > Convert > Create MP3 Version
Note: Some versions of iTunes may give the option to convert to MP3 by simply right clicking on the file in your iTunes library.
For more information on the iTunes file conversion process, visit the Apple support website here.