Three prevailing sweet roll styles appear in the Elder Scrolls franchise. Before you get started, choose the style you want to recreate.
- Muffin Shaped - In Oblivion, the sweet roll resembles a muffin with a large, risen top.
- Pinwheel Muffin Shaped - In Elder Scrolls Online, the muffin shape is seen again but with a spiral/pinwheel design on the top.
- Bundt Pan Shaped - Arguably the most iconic shape, this sweet roll style appears in most Elder Scrolls games.
For my recreation, I'll be using the bundt pan-shaped design as inspiration. To pull off this bake, I ordered small silicone bundt pans. A muffin pan can be used for the other designs, but getting a good rise from this batter won't be possible.
You can theoretically use any cake recipe you like. Here's the spice pound cake recipe I created to get the classic brown look. You can leave out the spices or even substitute them for lemon zest and lemon juice for a lemon sweet roll. Taste is king, you know this recipe is mostly about looks. You might as well floor your friends with a tasty treat, to boot.
|1 1/2 Cups Unbleached Bread Flour|
|1 Tsp Baking Powder|
|1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon|
|1 Tbsp Ground Nutmeg|
|1 Tbsp Ground Allspice|
|1 Tsp Salt|
|1 Tsp Vanilla|
|1 Cup (16 Tbsp) Butter|
|1 Cup Brown Sugar|
|1/4 Cup Sour Cream|
- Let the butter and eggs rest to room temperature.
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
- Beat the room temperature butter with a mixer, slowly incorporating brown sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and dry ingredients.
- Continue beating until smooth but do not overmix or the cake will be too dense.
With the batter prepared, all that's left for the cake is to bake it through.
- Pour the batter into the bundt molds or muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 30 - 40 minutes, you may want to cover it with foil for the last half to prevent over-baking the edges.
- Let the cakes cool and remove them from the molds or pan.
You can use any white icing you like for this step as well. If you want a place to start, here's a quick cream cheese icing recipe you can whip up in a pinch.
|1 Cup Confectioners Sugar|
|1 Tbsp Butter|
|1st Vanilla Extract|
|4oz Cream Cheese|
|2 Tbsp Milk or Buttermilk|
- Let the butter rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Add confectioners sugar, butter, vanilla extract, cream cheese, and milk (or buttermilk) to a bowl.
- Blend thoroughly with a mixer.
Now it’s time to frost your sweet rolls! If the icing is too thick, it can be warmed on the stove or in a microwave to soften. Be careful not to heat the icing so much that it becomes runny.
The icing should not cover the entire roll, nor should it be a dollop or hat. The icing should be glazed in a thick layer on top, with sections intentionally dripping down the sides.
When they're all glazed, confront the S'wit who stole your sweet roll and eat the delightful treat on top of his well-deserved grave. Dig in!