To set up Chrome Remote Desktop, install the client from Google on the machine you want to remote into.
- Open a web browser and go to
https://remotedesktop.google.com. If you haven’t logged in yet, go ahead and sign in to your Google account.
- Look for the section titled Set up remote access and go to the download page.
- Download the Chrome Remote Desktop package and install it.
- Follow the prompts and make sure Chrome Remote Desktop isn't blocked by your OS.
To access a computer with Chrome Remote Desktop, make sure the machine is connected to the internet. You will need a device with a web browser to log in to it remotely.
- Go to
https://remotedesktop.google.com/accessin a web browser and log in to your Google account, if prompted.
- Select the machine you want to log into.
- Enter the PIN for the machine.
- Click the arrow icon to start the connection.
You can allow someone temporary remote access by using a one-time code. This tool is part of the Chrome Remote Desktop support features.
- Go to
https://remotedesktop.google.com/support. Log in to your Google account.
- Click Generate Code.
- Share the PIN with whoever needs to remote into the computer.
- The other party can log in using the same URL but will need to log in using their own Google account.
- Paste the code in the Give Support field.
Once you've added a computer to Chrome Remote Desktop, you may want to edit its details.
- Go to
https://remotedesktop.google.com/accessin a web browser. Log in to your Google account, if prompted.
- Look for the machine you want to edit.
- Click the pencil-shaped icon.
- Using this screen, you can change the name or set a new PIN.
You can remove a computer from your Chrome Remote Desktop list from the access page.
https://remotedesktop.google.com/accessin a web browser.
- Locate the computer you want to delete.
- Click the trash icon to remove it from the list.
Chrome Remote Desktop is generally safe. All of the remote sessions are completely encrypted. To protect your machine, avoid sharing your Google account and only give the one-time code to trusted persons using a secured and private platform.
If Chrome Remote Desktop isn't working, there are a few things you can check.
- Double check the PIN or one-time code.
- Make sure the target machine is connected to the internet.
- Verify that Chrome Remote Desktop has permission to run from the operating system on the target machine.
It can also help to try connecting with another device to help isolate where the connection issue is.
Being able to create tab groups in Google Chrome is great, but being able to save them for the next time you open Chrome is even better.