A heavy duty floor mat is likely the first thing a new Peloton owner should buy. And best of all, they're relatively inexpensive.
Setting up your Peloton Bike with a floor mat underneath is encouraged for many reasons:
- The mat protects hardwood floors from damage and wear.
- It keeps carpets from getting stained with sweat or developing indents.
- It helps absorb some of the movement, vibration, and sound from the Peloton Bike during cycling workouts.
A mat will also make cleanup easier, as it is an easy surface for wiping and cleaning.
Adding arm movements to any lower body exercise quickly takes the workout up a notch. If you're interested in adding arm movements to your Peloton cycling workouts, grab a pair of 1-3 pound dumbbells.
In Peloton cycling workouts with arms intervals, upper body segments typically use light weights with high reps to improve muscle tone and endurance. Most standard dumbbells will fit into the weight rack on the Peloton Bike. So need to get anything too fancy!
- Having direct airflow will make you more comfortable during longer rides and workouts.
- It helps to evaporate sweat.
- It helps to prevent overheating and heat exhaustion.
- The oscillating function is ideal if you are changing between sitting and standing bike positions.
The Dyson Pure Link Air Purifier is a nice option as the "auto" setting will power on the fan as you start to build heat during your workouts, and it has the added benefit of keeping the air you're breathing in clean.
If that's a little outside of your price range, any good quality oscillating fan will do just fine.
A pair of cycling shoes is a must in order to clip into the Peloton Bike. Wearing cycling shoes allows:
- The rider to pull up (not just push down) on the pedal
- Activation of more leg muscles and the hip flexors.
Peloton's cycling shoes have gotten great reviews for their quality, but there are a lot of other comparable options for the same or lower price point, with variations in style like color and how they lace up. Here's two that I recommend:
- Mesh upper helps to keep feet cool during intense workouts.
- Uses a BOA dial to easily tighten the shoe.
- Recessed cleat channel and full rubber sole offer stability and walkability.
- It has a low price-point compared to other comparable options.
- Uses velcro buckles to tighten.
- Its supportive EVA footbed uses a DuPont Zytel nylon outsole to create an efficient, powerful platform for transferring energy to the pedals.
Conversely, You can pair any cycling shoe with a Delta Cleat for compatibility with the Peloton Bike.
The Peloton Bike and Bike+ both have built-in speakers, but Bluetooth headphones are ideal for tuning out distractions or keeping quiet during a Peloton ride.
The Peloton Bike pairs easily with any Bluetooth headphones, but I recommend a pair of workout-specific headphones because they do not slip or slide out of place as you build a sweat. And these AirPod Pro Bluetooth headphones are my favorite for a couple of reasons:
- They are the most comfortable I've used for cycling.
- No wires means they won't get in the way or cause a distraction.
- They have noise cancellation for when you're trying to block out outside noise.
- They have around 24 hours of battery life.
- They are sweat and water-resistant.
Pair a Bluetooth heart rate monitor with the Peloton Bike to enable more data during your Peloton classes. This will help you:
- Monitor your own exertion
- Improve the accuracy of your workout data
- Track your heart-rate zones
- Track other things when you're not on your Peloton, like your resting heart rate
While many heart rate monitors will pair easily to your Peloton, I like this Bluetooth heart rate monitor from Scosche for:
- Its affordability
- Comfortable placement on your upper arm
- Compatibility with many Bluetooth smart devices, like the Peloton
In the event you're using an Apple Watch, we have a guide to help you sync your watch to your Peloton.
Stock up on a few extra water bottles to help you stay properly hydrated during Peloton rides. This Camelbak insulated water bottle is a great option because:
- It is lightweight.
- It fits easily into the water bottle holder.
- And it is easy to drink from while riding.
Grab some new towels and get ready to wipe that sweat away!
Standard hand towels are large enough to cover the bike handlebars - providing extra cushion while you are leaning on the handlebars, but also handy in helping keep sweat at bay.
If you want an upgrade, grab a towel that is fitted to the handlebars and keeps the towel from sliding off the bike.