It's best to back up your iPhone over WiFi. If you try to back up your phone over the cell network, it will take much longer and may not complete.
- Unlock the iPhone you want to back up.
- Enable WiFi.
- Connect to a wireless network.
Scroll down a bit and tap iCloud Backup on the screen that loads. To initiate the backup process, select Back up now.
The amount of time it takes to complete the backup depends on how much data you're storing as well as network speeds. Make sure your iPhone stays connected to the wireless network for the entire backup process.
You can also backup your iPhone using iTunes. You will need a USB cable for this process.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
- If you're using macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. For macOS Mojave or older, open iTunes. PC users can use iTunes, as well.
- If prompted by iTunes, confirm the passcode for your iPhone.
- Select the iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes on the left.
- You can choose to encrypt the backup with a password by checking the Encrypt iPhone backup box.
- Click Back Up Now.
During many years of working in the tech industry, one of the biggest problems I dealt with was the dreaded and confusing: storage.