To install OptiFine, you’ll need to download the OptiFine JAR file from their website. Make sure to choose the latest version of Optifine that matches your game version.
- Click the
Downloadbutton to the right of the OptiFine version you want.
- On the next page, you may need to wait for the
Skip Adbutton to appear after five seconds.
- Click the
Download OptiFinelink in the middle of the next page.
- We recommend saving OptiFine somewhere you can find it later.
- Depending on your browser, you may need to click
Allowif a warning pops up stating that OptiFine might be dangerous. Which, as long as you’re downloading from OptiFine’s official website, it’s not.
Before moving into the actual installation of OptiFine, it’s important to know where your Minecraft game is installed. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Minecraft Launcher.
- Make sure the launch option is the game version you plan on using with OptiFine.
- Go to the Installations tab at the top of the window.
- Hover your mouse over the game version you want to find and click the folder icon to the right of the
Playbutton. See the image below for help.
- The file path that opens in a new window is where you’ll install OptiFine in the next step!
- Once finished, close the Minecraft Launcher.
Return to where you downloaded OptiFine onto your computer. Double-click to run the OptiFine setup file.
- In the window that pops up, click the
...button and go to the file path you found in the previous step.
- Click Install on the OptiFine Installer window.
- A new window will pop-up to confirm OptiFine has been installed. Click the
Okaybutton to close the installer.
If you can’t open OptiFine to install it, then you’ll need to download Java SE Development Kit 16. On this page, choose the installer for your operating system.
It’s time to make sure everything is working properly and configure the Minecraft Launcher with OptiFine.
- Reopen the Minecraft Launcher.
- Click the drop-down menu for Launcher Options at the bottom left of the window, as shown in the image above.
You’re now ready to begin playing Minecraft! Click
Play and enjoy an upgraded version of Minecraft!
If you’re interested in adding more customization to your game, follow our guide on how to install shader packs to your Minecraft game as well!