The first step to disabling caps lock on a Mac is navigating to your Mac's system preferences. Here's how:
- Click the Apple logo in the upper left-hand corner of the Mac (in the menu bar).
- Select "System Preferences."
Now that the system preferences window is open, you can open the keyboard preferences by choosing the following options:
- Select "Keyboard".
- In the lower right-hand corner, click the "Modifier Keys..." button.
Here's where you get to make your mac do the work for you. You can choose to disable the caps lock key or modify your caps lock key to have a different function. It's all about what your preferences are. Here's how to get it done:
To disable the caps lock key
- Select the keyboard you want to modify from the "Select keyboard" dropdown (the settings only apply to a single keyboard at a time: e.g. internal MacBook, USB, or Bluetooth).
- To the right of the Caps Lock option, click the dropdown.
- From the drop-down, select "No Action."
- Click "OK" in the lower right-hand corner.
- Repeat for each keyboard you have connected.
By choosing "no option" the caps lock key will have zero functionality.
To reassign or modify the caps lock key
Choose one of the options from the drop-down:
Once you've made your choice, click "OK" in the lower right-hand corner.
Voila! It's that easy! Next: Learn how to open your Mac using your Apple Watch.